The Reformer is a unique piece of equipment unlike any other you may find in a gym. It consists of a sliding carriage which uses springs and a pulley system to create the resistance used to facilitate hundreds of effective exercises. These are performed in a variety of positions: lying, sitting, kneeling or standing.
It incorporates more of Joseph Pilates' original exercises, which, like the matwork, involve full body movements, choreographed sequences and a particular emphasis on finding and using the powerhouse.
Benefits of the Reformer:
- Uses resistance of springs to increase strength & flexibility.
- Alignment is easier to maintain as you work within the fixed frame of the Reformer.
- Provides a variable resistance set to the clients ability.
- Muscles are worked in a closed chain more than the matwork allowing easier correction of muscle imbalance & poor biomechanics especially of the legs and spine.
- Core stability is emphasised when stabilising the torso against the pull of the springs.
- No muscle group is over or under trained
"After trying a session on the Reformer with Christine's instruction I felt parts of me had been worked and stretched in a way I can't achieve myself in a matwork class. More than that - it's so fun and I'm now hooked!
" Mary P.